This salsa verde chicken skillet recipe is fresh and flavorful and can be made in twenty minutes from start to finish. It’s both gluten free and dairy free and uses only the one skillet so cleanup is a snap. The salsa verde and lime juice play into a not-too-spicy mix of flavors that accent the chicken and rice fantastically.
No worries! Save to Pinterest and read later.Save to Pinterest
Salsa Verde Chicken Skillet Ingredients
For this recipe you’ll start with three tablespoons of olive or avocado oil, a large, finely diced, yellow onion, and three tablespoons of minced garlic. You’ll then need a pound of boneless, skinless chicken breasts diced into one-inch pieces.
For seasoning you use two teaspoons cumin, two teaspoons oregano, a half teaspoon paprika, and a half teaspoon of salt. Additionally you’ll require twenty four ounces of salsa verde, and a fifteen ounce can of black beans that have been drained and rinsed.
You will also need four cups of cooked white or brown rice. This can be what you have on hand already or 90 second rice if you like. Lastly you need the juice from one lime (about two tablespoons of juice) and a quarter cup of chopped cilantro. If you desire you can chop a little extra cilantro for garnish.
Making Salsa Verde Chicken Skillet
Start this easy chicken skillet recipe by adding the oil to a large skillet over medium heat. When hot, add the diced onion and minced garlic to the oil. Sauté this for about four to five minutes or until the onion starts to soften and begins to turn translucent.
Next, add in the chicken cubes and cook for about five or six minutes while stirring frequently. Then sprinkle in the spices and stir for around a minute to evenly coat the chicken.
Thirdly, pour in the salsa verde, rice, and black beans and stir to combine everything together well. If you don’t have cooked rice on hand or want to make it faster the 90 second rice or ready rice will work just fine.
Lastly, stir in the lime juice and chopped cilantro and remove the skillet from the heat. Give it a taste and adjust the spices to your personal preference and serve it up!
Serving and Storing Instructions
Garnish this chicken skillet with any extra cilantro you have left from the recipe, chopped green onions, or chopped/sliced jalapeños if you want to add some heat to it. If you’re not specifically going for dairy free you could also top with a dab of sour cream or shredded cheese.
This recipe is well served as a standalone meal but you can add a side of guacamole or salsa and chips. A simple fresh salad is also a good side for this dish.
To store your salsa verde chicken skillet simply let it cool to room temperature and place in an airtight container or individual meal prep containers and refrigerate. It will keep for about 5 days. This recipe reheats well for round two for a great lunch on its own or even break out some tortillas and make a wrap.
Other Recipes Under 30 Minutes You’ll Love!
- Garlic Chicken & Potato Skillet
- Easy Meatless Baked Ziti
- Instant Pot Broccoli Cheese Soup
- Sheet Pan Caprese Chicken
- Instant Pot Steak
PS. If you’ve made this recipe, don’t forget to rate this recipe and let me know in the comments how you liked it!
- 3 tablespoons olive oil or avocado oil
- 1 large yellow onion, finely diced
- 3 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1–pound boneless chicken breasts, diced into 1-inch pieces
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 2 teaspoons oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 24 ounces salsa verde salsa
- 4 cups white or brown rice (cooked already, or use 90 second rice or ready rice)
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- Juice of 1 lime (about 2 tablespoons lime juice)
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro, plus more for garnishing
1. Add the oil to a large skillet over medium high heat, and then add in the onion and minced garlic once the oil is hot. Sauté for about 4 to 5 minutes, or until the onion has started to soften and become translucent
2. Add in the chicken and cook for 5 to 6 minutes, stirring frequently. Then sprinkle the spices over the chicken and stir 1 minute to evenly coat the chicken pieces
3. Pour the salsa verde, cooked white rice and black beans into the skillet and stir to combine everything together. Lastly, stir in the lime juice and cilantro and remove from the heat
4. Taste and adjust spices to taste
Keywords: salsa verde chicken skillet recipe, salsa verde chicken, salsa verde skillet, chicken skillet, gluten free salsa verde chicken skillet recipe, dairy free salsa verde chicken skillet recipe
This salsa verde chicken skillet post may contain some links that are affiliate links, though products are ones I use personally and recommend. When you purchase anything using my links, it costs you absolutely nothing extra, but it does give healthyheartyrecipes.com a little financial support which helps to keep this blog running. Thank you for your continued support, both with your dollars and your interest.