This black bean couscous salad is a great choice for a fresh and flavorful salad with minimal effort. It can be made gluten free and is naturally dairy free. The black beans, cilantro, and corn play well with the seasonings and combine for a satisfying salad that’s perfect for a weeknight dinner or a group gathering.
No worries! Save to Pinterest and read later.Save to Pinterest
Why You’ll Love This Black Bean Couscous Salad Recipe:
- This salad has a bunch of fresh flavors that compliment each other super well.
- It is a versatile recipe that will pair with almost anything.
- You can serve this recipe as a side for a family dinner or make extra for potlucks and group gatherings. It’s a crowd pleaser!
- The black bean couscous salad is such an easy recipe to make, and only takes a few minutes of prep.
- A salad packed with veggies and tastes good is always a winner!
Black Bean Couscous Salad Ingredients
To make this couscous salad you first start with a cup of uncooked couscous and a cup of chicken broth, vegetable broth, or water, whichever you prefer, and a 15 ounce can of drained black beans. Then you’ll need avocado oil or olive oil, lime juice, and red wine vinegar, garlic powder, and cumin. Lastly, you need 4-5 chopped green onions, a seeded and chopped red bell pepper, a half cup of chopped cilantro, and a cup of corn. Salt and pepper to taste, as well.
If you don’t want to use a can of corn, we highly recommend using fresh sweet corn on the cob! It adds such a great flavor to this salad. You can quickly make corn on the cob in the instant pot so it doesn’t add too much prep work.
Gluten Free Couscous:
To make this salad gluten free just swap out the regular couscous for a gluten free variety. Streits and Gefen are good brands that are easily available online but if you have a favorite brand you can use that. Just cook it according to the directions on the packaging!
How to Make This Black Bean Salad
Start this recipe by adding the broth or water to a medium pot and add in the couscous. Bring it to a boil and cook for about 5-10 minutes until the couscous is done. Remove it from the pot and fluff with a fork and set it aside for now to cool.
Next, whisk together the oil, lime juice, vinegar, garlic, and cumin in a large bowl until well combined. Add in the couscous and veggies to the bowl and toss together and mix.
Lastly, add any extra salt, pepper, garlic, lime juice, or vinegar to fine tune the salad to your taste. Place in the refrigerator and let cool in there for at least an hour before serving so it all marinates together well.
How to Serve and Store
- Smoked Butterfly Chicken
- Grilled Lemon Pepper Chicken
- Air Fryer Lamb Chops
- Air Fryer Mahi Mahi
- Easy Greek Meatballs
- Boba Coffee
- Homemade Limeade
There are many options for what to serve your black bean couscous salad with. It goes great with many different flavor profiles, grilled, smoked or roasted meat, and is a great addition to a summer BBQ, potluck, or family gathering. It’s also perfect as a simple side for an easy weeknight meal paired with any protein. No matter what this is served with, it’s sure to be a hit.
Storing Black Bean Couscous Salad:
To store this salad just make sure it’s in an airtight container and refrigerate. You only have to place the lid on if the bowl you’re using to mix it has one. We’ve been obsessed with these Pyrex bowls lately. It will keep for about 5 days but chances are it’ll be devoured before then.
Other Side Dish Recipes You’ll Love!
- Mustard Potato Salad
- Cherry Tomato & Feta Couscous Salad
- Instant Pot Steamed Broccoli
- Air Fryer Butternut Squash
- Air Fryer Roasted Sweet Potatoes
- Macaroni Pasta Salad
- Bang Bang Brussels Sprouts
PS. If you’ve made this recipe, don’t forget to rate this recipe and let me know in the comments how you liked it!
- 1 cup uncooked couscous
- 1 cup chicken broth, vegetable broth, or water
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, drained
- 3 tablespoons olive or avocado oil
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 2 teaspoons red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 4–5 green onions, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 cup corn
- salt and pepper to taste
- Add broth or water to a medium pot and add in couscous. Bring to a boil and cook until couscous is done. Remove from pot, fluff with a fork and set aside
- In a large bowl, whisk together the oil, lime juice, vinegar, garlic and cumin. Add the couscous and all of the vegetables and beans and stir to combine
- Season with salt and pepper to taste, add any additional garlic powder, lime juice or vinegar to taste, and refrigerate for at least an hour prior to serving
Vegetarian: Just make sure to use vegetable broth or water for the couscous.
Keywords: black bean couscous salad, easy black bean couscous salad, black bean salad, gluten free black bean couscous salad, vegetarian couscous salad
This black bean couscous salad post may contain some links that are affiliate links, though products are ones I use personally and recommend. When you purchase anything using my links, it costs you absolutely nothing extra, but it does give healthyheartyrecipes.com a little financial support which helps to keep this blog running. Thank you for your continued support, both with your dollars and your interest.