This gluten-free slow cooker creamy sausage gnocchi soup recipe is the perfect cozy weeknight dinner that’s family friendly or recipe to make meal prep easy. The leftovers make great lunches, and the soup is filled with vegetables like carrots, celery, onion and spinach so it’s nourishing and filling. The creamy gnocchi soup is freezer-friendly as well, so it’s a great way to plan for a day you don’t want to cook!
No worries! Save to Pinterest and read later.Save to Pinterest
Creamy Gnocchi Soup Ingredients
This creamy sausage and gnocchi soup is filled with vegetables. For those, you’ll need 2 diced carrots, 2 ribs of diced celery, a diced yellow onion and baby spinach. One pound of ground sausage is needed, and you can use whatever you prefer, such as mild or spicy sausage.
For the pantry ingredients, a few simple spices including parsley, thyme and rosemary are used. Along with chicken broth, half and half, grated parmesan, and flour. The flour can be regular, but to enjoy this slow cooker gnocchi soup gluten-free, opt for a gluten-free 1:1 option. 1 pound of gluten-free potato gnocchi is also needed.
Slow Cooker Gnocchi Soup Cooking Instructions
This creamy sausage gnocchi soup recipe is really, really easy to make and doesn’t have much hands on time. The first step is to brown and crumble the sausage. While the sausage is browning, add the carrots, onions, celery, spices and the broth into your slow cooker.
Once the sausage is browned and crumbled, drain the grease and add that into your slow cooker as well. Then you’ll cover it, and cook on low for 6 to 8 hours, or on high for 3 to 4 hours.
30 minutes prior to the soup being done, or you’re ready to eat, add the gnocchi and half and half into the slow cooker. Then in a small bowl, combine the hot water and flour. Use a fork or whisk to mix together until the flour has dissolved. The flour slurry will then be added into your soup as well.
Stir the slurry, gnocchi and half and half into your soup. Place your lid back on for the remaining half hour of cooking time. Finally, at the very end you’ll add the parmesan and spinach. Give it a good stir and the spinach will wilt and cheese will melt pretty quickly.
How to Serve and Store Creamy Sausage Gnocchi Soup
You can serve your slow cooker gnocchi soup with fresh cracked black pepper, crackers, additional parmesan or chopped parsley. It’s great on it’s own, and really filling, which makes it such a great meal prep recipe to use the leftovers for lunches.
To store your gnocchi soup, first let it cool completely. Then you can store it in a large container with a lid, or divide it into individual portions in meal prep containers. This recipe keeps well in the fridge for up to 5 days. You can also freeze it for up to 4 months.
Stovetop Cooking Instructions
To cook your creamy sausage gnocchi soup on the stovetop, you should first brown your sausage in a large stockpot over medium-high heat. Then drain the sausage and return it to the pot. Add the carrots, celery, and onions, along with the broth and garlic. Bring the broth to a boil.
Then turn the heat down to simmer and cover with a lid. Let the soup cook for about 15 minutes, and then add in your gnocchi and half and half. Cover with the lid again and cook for an additional 15 minutes. While it’s simmering, dissolve your flour with the water. In the last 5 minutes, add in the flour slurry, parmesan and baby spinach. Once the spinach has wilted and the cheese has melted, remove the soup from the heat.
Other Slow Cooker Recipes You’ll Love:
- Slow Cooker Creamy Potato Bacon Soup
- Vegetarian Minestrone Soup
- Chicken and Chickpea Tikka Masala
- Fiesta Chicken and Rice
- Slow Cooker Sloppy Joes
PS. If you’ve made this recipe, don’t forget to rate this recipe and let me know in the comments how you liked it!
- 1-pound ground Italian sausage (mild or spicy)
- 4 cups chicken or beef broth
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and diced
- 2 ribs celery, diced
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 1.5 tablespoons minced garlic
- 2 teaspoons dried parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1-pound potato gnocchi
- 2 cups half and half
- 2 tablespoons gluten free 1:1 flour, or regular flour
- 1/3 cup hot water
- 3 ounces of grated parmesan (about 3/4 cup), plus more for serving
- 2 large handfuls baby spinach
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, brown the ground sausage until it’s cooked through and crumbled. Drain the grease and add it into the slow cooker
- Add in the carrots, celery, onion, spices and broth. Stir to combine and place the lid on the slow cooker. Cook on high for 3-4 hours, or on low for 6-8 hours
- 30 minutes prior to the end of the cook time, stir in the potato gnocchi and half and half
- In a small bowl, combine the hot water with the flour and whisk with a fork to dissolve the flour into the water and make a slurry. Pour it into the slow cooker and stir it into the soup
- Place the cover back on and set the slow cooker to high if it is not already, and cook for the remaining 30 minutes to let the soup thicken and the gnocchi heat up
- At the end of the cook time, stir in the parmesan and spinach until the cheese has melted and the spinach is wilted
- Serve with chopped parsley, additional black pepper and additional parmesan if desired
Keywords: slow cooker gnocchi, creamy gnocchi soup, slow cooker sausage, pork recipes, ground sausage soup
This slow cooker creamy gnocchi soup post may contain some links that are affiliate links, though products are ones I use personally and recommend. When you purchase anything using my links, it costs you absolutely nothing extra, but it does give healthyheartyrecipes.com a little financial support which helps to keep this blog running. Thank you for your continued support, both with your dollars and your interest.