This country style garlic chicken and potato skillet is naturally gluten free. It is ready in 30 minutes and features garlic and ghee for a healthy, comforting meal. Using very few fresh ingredients this skillet roasted, one pot meal is sure to satisfy and be a regular part of your dinner rotation.
No worries! Save to Pinterest and read later.Save to Pinterest
Chicken and Potato Skillet Ingredients
To make the country style chicken and potato skillet you’ll need a pound of small gold potatoes, one pound of diced chicken thighs, a quarter cup of ghee (clarified butter), and 2 tablespoons of minced garlic or 5-6 medium cloves.
Additionally you will require chopped flat leaf parsley, dried rosemary, dried thyme, garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, and salt and pepper to taste. If you choose you can also use the juice from half a lemon and lemon slices for a citrus note.
Making Garlic Chicken and Potatoes
Start this skillet by softening the potatoes so they are barely fork tender.
You can do this in the microwave by placing the diced potatoes in a bowl half full of water. Microwave for about five minutes. Drain immediately after done.
Parboiling is also an option. Bring a medium pot of water to a boil and adding the potatoes for 5-10 minutes. Drain them immediately when done.
Next, heat a large cast iron skillet over medium heat and add half of the ghee. When the ghee is melted and the skillet is hot add in the potatoes. Let them cook undisturbed for 3 minutes so the side of the potatoes being cooked has browned nicely.
Flip the potatoes and cook for another 4 minutes. Then sprinkle in the minced garlic, parsley, rosemary, thyme, and a pinch of salt and pepper. Stir it around to coat the potatoes and cook for an additional 4 minutes. Stir occasionally to finish browning the potatoes.
Once browned, transfer the potatoes to a large bowl or plate. Add the last half of the ghee to the skillet to melt and heat up. When the ghee is melted and hot, add in the diced chicken and season it with the garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, and a pinch of salt and pepper.
Stir the chicken around to coat it in the spices. Once coated let the chicken cook undisturbed for 4 minutes so it browns on one side. Give it a stir to flip the chicken and cook another 5 minutes while occasionally stirring to finish browning the chicken.
Lastly, add the potatoes back into the skillet and stir it all together. If you decided on adding lemon, now is the time to add the lemon juice when you’re mixing the potatoes back in. Top with additional chopped parsley if desired.
Adding Veggies to the Garlic Chicken and Potato Skillet
If you’re looking for extra veggies in this recipe there are a number of ways you can go! Some of my favorites are:
- Green beans
- Brussel sprouts
- Yellow or white onion
Just add about 2 cups when you’re making the potatoes. Make sure whatever you use is cut into manageable sizes. About 1-2 inch pieces worked the best. For Brussel sprouts halve or quarter them depending on the size. If you’re going the onion route try a half of a chopped onion.
Serving and Storing Instructions
Serve the country style garlic chicken and potato skillet garnished with extra chopped parsley and lemon slices. If you don’t want to keep it dairy free you could garnish with parmesan cheese. Green onions also make a great garnish for this dish.
A fresh salad is my favorite side for this skillet but roasted broccoli or asparagus is also a great option. Give it an extra squeeze of lemon to tie in with the citrus from the skillet!
To store this garlic chicken and potato skillet first let it cool completely to room temperature. Place it in an airtight container and refrigerate.
If you’re meal prepping for the week ahead place some in individual meal prep containers along with a side of veggies and refrigerate.
This recipe will keep in the refrigerator for about 5 days. It reheats well the second time around for a fulfilling leftover meal.
Other Skillet Recipes You’ll Love!
- Cheesy Broccoli Gnocchi Skillet
- Kung Pao Chicken Stir Fry
- Breakfast Burrito Skillet
- Garlic Chicken Gnocchi Skillet
- Coconut Lime Chicken Skillet
PS. If you’ve made this recipe, don’t forget to rate this recipe and let me know in the comments how you liked it!
- 1-pound small gold potatoes, quartered
- 1/4 cup ghee
- 2 tablespoon minced garlic (5-6 medium cloves)
- 3 tablespoons chopped flat leaf parsley, plus more for garnish
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1-pound boneless, skinless chicken thighs diced into 1-inch pieces
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Optional: Juice of 1/2 lemon, and fresh lemon slices for serving
- Soften diced potatoes by either parboiling or microwaving. To parboil, bring a medium pot of water to a boil, add the diced potatoes, and boil for 5-10 minutes, or until the potatoes are barely fork tender, and immediately drain. To microwave, place the diced potatoes in a bowl half filled with water and microwave for 5 minutes or until barley fork tender
- Heat a large cast iron skillet over medium-high heat and add half of the ghee. Once the ghee is melted and the cast iron is very well heated, add the potatoes to the skillet
- Cook undisturbed for 3 minutes until the side of the potato being cooked has developed a nice brown color. Stir the potatoes to flip and cook for another 4 minutes
- Sprinkle the minced garlic, parsley, rosemary, thyme and a pinch of salt and pepper over the potatoes and stir to coat. Cook another 4 minutes, stirring occasionally to evenly brown the sides of the potatoes that haven’t been browned yet
- Transfer the potatoes to a large bowl or plate. Add the remaining half of the ghee to the skillet and melt. Once melted and hot, add the diced chicken into the skillet and season with the garlic powder, onion powder, paprika and a pinch of salt and pepper. Stir to coat
- Cook undisturbed for 4 minutes, or until browned on one side and then stir. Cook another 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until all of the chicken pieces are browned
- Add the potatoes back into the skillet with the chicken and stir together. Top with additional chopped parsley
Notes: If you want to add extra vegetables to your skillet, add 2-3 cups green beans, roughly chopped in 1-2-inch pieces in with the potatoes
Keywords: chicken and potato skillet, country chicken and potato skillet, garlic butter chicken and potato skillet, skillet roasted chicken and potatoes
This garlic chicken and potato skillet post may contain some links that are affiliate links, though products are ones I use personally and recommend. When you purchase anything using my links, it costs you absolutely nothing extra, but it does give healthyheartyrecipes.com a little financial support which helps to keep this blog running. Thank you for your continued support, both with your dollars and your interest.