Instant Pot ground turkey sloppy joes adds a small twist on the classic we all know and love. It clocks in at 20 minutes, it’s gluten free, dairy free, and only uses the one pot. This recipe is a quick and easy choice to make that only uses a handful of simple ingredients.
No worries! Save to Pinterest and read later.Save to Pinterest
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- Classic: Sloppy joes are a tried and true classic that everyone loves!
- Fast & Easy: This recipe is simple, uses a few easy ingredients, and is ready and on the table quickly.
- Family Friendly: From the grown adults down to the young kids, when sloppy joes are on the menu nearly everyone is on board.
- A Great Substitute for Beef: Turkey is a great substitute for beef. It’s a slightly different flavor, is a lean source of protein, and if you’ve ever had a turkey burger instead of beef you know that a ground turkey sloppy joe is a great call.
Turkey Sloppy Joe Ingredients
This recipe starts with a tablespoon of avocado oil or olive oil, minced garlic, a pound of ground turkey, chili powder, salt, and pepper.
Beyond that you only need a half of a finely diced white onion, 2/3 cup of ketchup (for sugar free I like the Primal Kitchen Ketchup), a quarter cup of beef broth or water, a tablespoon of coconut aminos or Worcestershire sauce, one and a half tablespoons of tomato paste, dijon mustard.
How to Make Instant Pot Turkey Sloppy Joes
First off for this recipe is to set your trusty Instant Pot to ‘saute’ mode and add the oil to the bottom and let it heat up. Secondly, add in the minced garlic once the oil is hot and let it cook for about a minute or until it becomes fragrant.
When the garlic is fragrant, add the ground turkey, salt, pepper, and chili powder to the Instant Pot. Break up the turkey and stir it around and let it cook about halfway or slightly brown. This should be about 4-5 minutes.
Then add in the diced onion and green pepper and stir it in to combine. Let these soften for a couple of minutes while you make the sauce.
Combine all of the sauce ingredients in a small bowl. This is the ketchup, broth/water, coconut aminos/Worcestershire sauce, tomato paste, and Dijon mustard. Mix them until they’re mostly combined.
Don’t worry too much if the mustard or tomato paste doesn’t completely dissolve into the sauce, the instant pot will take care of the rest for you in a minute.
Pour the sauce into the instant pot and stir it into the turkey mixture. Close the lid and make sure the valve is set to ‘sealing’ and then set the Instant Pot to ‘manual high pressure’ for 6 minutes and let it cook.
When the timer is up on the Instant Pot, do a quick release of the valve and remove the lid. If the sauce hasn’t completely thickened yet, set the Instant Pot back to ‘saute’ and give it a couple of minutes for the excess liquid to steam off. Once it’s thickened to your liking you are all done so serve and enjoy!
Serving and Storing Instructions
Serve these sloppy joes on brioche or white buns or whichever are your favorite. You can always add a little cheese or whatever you would normally fine tune your sloppy joes with. We all have our twist to these. Try a sprinkle of red pepper flakes as well!
One of my favorite ways to serve this recipe is to bake a potato to cut open and top off with these turkey sloppy joes. Making a lettuce wrap with butter lettuce is another great option! They make for a filling dinner without messing with the bun if you’re wanting a lighter or lower carb meal.
Perfect Pairings for This Recipe:
- Crispy Brabant Potatoes
- Buffalo Chickpea Salad
- Tomato & Feta Couscous Salad
- Mustard Potato Salad
- Air Fryer Roasted Sweet Potatoes
To store this instant pot turkey sloppy joes, first let it cool to room temperature and place in one large airtight container or individual meal prep containers and refrigerate. It will keep well for about 5 days refrigerated. This recipe is another great candidate to freeze for later. I’ve been obsessed with Souper Cubes lately so if you have those they’re perfect.
Other Instant Pot Recipes You’ll Love!
- Instant Pot Chicken Lo Mein
- Instant Pot Hamburger Helper
- Instant Pot Broccoli Cheese Soup
- Instant Pot Bruschetta Chicken Pasta
PS. If you’ve made this recipe, don’t forget to rate this recipe and let me know in the comments how you liked it!
- 1 tablespoon avocado oil or olive oil
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1–pound ground turkey
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 green bell pepper, finely diced
- 1/2 white onion, finely diced
- 2/3 cup ketchup (for a sugar free option try the Primal Kitchen Ketchup)
- 1/4 cup beef broth (or water)
- 1 tablespoon coconut aminos (or Worcestershire sauce)
- 1 and 1/2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- Set instant pot to sauté mode and heat oil in the bottom. Once oil is hot, add minced garlic
- Once the garlic begins to become fragrant (about 1 minute), add ground turkey, salt, pepper and chili powder. Stir to break up ground turkey and let slightly brown (about halfway cooked) for 4-5 minutes
- Add diced onion and green pepper and stir to combine. Allow to soften for about 2 minutes while you prepare the sauce
- In a small bowl, combine all sauce ingredients. While mixing together, don’t worry if the mustard or tomato paste doesn’t completely dissolve into the sauce, it will come together in the instant pot
- Pour sauce into the instant pot, stir to combine and close the lid. Set instant pot to manual high pressure for 6 minutes. Once done, do a quick release and then remove the lid
- If sauce hasn’t totally thickened, press sauté again and let simmer while the excess liquid steams off
- Serve with fresh buns, brioche or white buns are our favorites
Optional: If you’d like to drain the ground turkey, after step 2 and before step 3, use an oven mitt to remove the pot from instant pot and drain excess fat. Return the turkey and pot to the instant pot, keeping it on sauté mode.
Keywords: instant pot ground turkey sloppy joes, how to make ground turkey sloppy joes, instant pot sloppy joes, easy instant pot sloppy joes, easy turkey sloppy joes, ground turkey sloppy joes
This instant pot turkey sloppy joes recipe may contain some links that are affiliate links, though products are ones I use personally and recommend. When you purchase anything using my links, it costs you absolutely nothing extra, but it does give healthyheartyrecipes.com a little financial support which helps to keep this blog running. Thank you for your continued support, both with your dollars and your interest.