A mozzarella stuffed chicken breast is a simple gluten free option for a quick dinner meal. This recipe takes about 20 minutes to make and only uses one pan. It uses extremely few staple ingredients that combine into a filling and delicious dinner that is versatile enough to serve on its own or with any number of side options.
No worries! Save to Pinterest and read later.Save to Pinterest
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- Fast: This one is ready from start to finish in 20 minutes so you’re twenty or less away from dinner.
- One Pan: One pan meals are the best. They save on the cleanup so there’s more time after your meal for the things you want to do.
- Delicious: The combination of chicken, mozzarella, and tomato sauce is one of the better combinations and this one sure makes it tasty!
- Versatile: This recipe can be served on its own but its also great over pasta, with almost any side, and is also a great one for meal prepping.
Mozzarella Stuffed Chicken Breast Ingredients
For the Chicken
The chicken portion of this recipe starts with 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, a cup and a half of shredded mozzarella cheese, and avocado oil or olive oil.
For the simple spices to season the chicken breasts with you’ll need dried basil, dried oregano, garlic powder, onion powder, salt, and pepper.
For the Sauce
To make the sauce portion of this recipe you require a 15 ounce can of crushed tomatoes, mince garlic, dried oregano or italian seasoning, salt, and pepper.
How to Make a Mozzarella Stuffed Chicken Breast
Start this recipe by horizontally slicing the chicken breasts. Stop about a half inch before slicing all the way through to make a pocket for the mozzarella.
Next, combine the spices for the chicken together in a bowl and, once combined, liberally season both sides of the chicken breasts to get a good coat. Pat it in a bit to get it to stick well.
Now, stuff the chicken with the mozzarella using the pockets you made in step one. If needed you can use toothpicks to keep them closed.
In a large skillet, add the oil and heat it up over medium-high heat. Once the oil is hot, add your chicken breasts and sear them for about 4-5 minutes. When the bottom of the chicken is a golden brown and come up off the pan easily, flip them and cook for about 4 minutes.
While the chicken is cooking, add the crushed tomatoes to a bowl along with the sauce ingredients and mix it to combine. Then pour the sauce around the chicken and bring it to a simmer. Don’t pour the sauce on top of the chicken.
Once the sauce is simmering in the pan with the stuffed chicken breasts, reduce the heat to a medium. Cover the pan and let it simmer for about 8-10 minutes. It’s done when the chicken is at an internal temp of 165 degrees F and the mozzarella is bubbly.
Give the sauce a taste and add any salt or pepper to taste. Now it’s time to garnish and serve!
Serving and Storing Instructions
This recipe is great to garnish with parsley, crushed red pepper flakes, fresh basil, or shredded or shaved parmesan. If you have more mozzarella leftover from stuffing the chicken breast you can also use that.
My favorite ways to serve a mozzarella stuffed chicken breast is on a bed of noodles or spaghetti squash, cauliflower mash, or mashed potatoes. This recipe is solid as a standalone but these options make it great for portioning out leftovers for meal prep.
Check out this super simple air fryer spaghetti squash recipe and get the whole meal ready at once!
Of course this recipe is always delicious with a side of roasted veggies, breadsticks, or a fresh side salad as well.
To store this recipe let it cool to room temperature and place in an airtight container and refrigerate. I highly recommend portioning these out into meal prep containers with a side of cauliflower mash or spaghetti noodles as it makes for a very filling and fulfilling leftover meal. It will keep well in the refrigerator for about 5 days.
Other Chicken Recipes You’ll Love!
- Garlic Chicken Gnocchi Skillet
- Kung Pao Chicken Stir Fry
- Slow Cooker Chicken and Chickpea Tikka Masala
- Crock Pot Lemonade Chicken
- Chicken Mozzarella Bake
HUNGRY FOR MORE? Subscribe to my newsletter to get new recipes delivered straight to your inbox! And be sure to stay in touch on Facebook, Instagram, and Pinterest for all of the latest updates.
PS. If you’ve made this recipe, don’t forget to rate this recipe and let me know in the comments how you liked it!
Mozzarella Stuffed Chicken Breast
A mozzarella stuffed chicken breast is a simple gluten free option for a meal. This recipe takes about 20 minutes to make and only uses one pan. It uses extremely few staple ingredients that combine into a filling and delicious dinner that is versatile enough to serve on its own or with any number of side options.
- Prep Time: 5 mins
- Cook Time: 20 mins
- Total Time: 25 minutes
- Yield: 4 1x
- Category: chicken
- Method: stovetop
- Cuisine: american
- Diet: Gluten Free
For the Chicken:
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1.5 cups shredded mozzarella
- 2 tablespoons avocado oil or olive oil
For the Sauce:
- 15-ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano (or Italian seasoning)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- Slice each chicken breast horizontally, stopping about a half inch before slicing all the way through the chicken breast
- In a bowl, combine all of the spices together. Then liberally season all sides of the outside of the chicken breasts
- In the slices you made in the chicken breasts, stuff with the mozzarella cheese and use a toothpick to secure if needed
- Add the oil to a large skillet over medium-high heat and add the chicken breasts into the skillet once the oil is hot. Sear the chicken for 4-5 minutes, or until the bottom side of the chicken breasts are golden brown and come up off the pan easily
- Flip the chicken and cook another 4 minutes. While the chicken is cooking, add the crushed tomatoes and seasonings into a bowl and combine
- Pour the crushed tomatoes into the skillet, around the chicken, not overtop. Bring to a simmer and then reduce the heat to medium.
- Cover and let simmer for 8-10 minutes, or until chicken is cooked through to 165 degrees F. and mozzarella is bubbly
- Garnish with additional parsley, and adjust salt and pepper to taste
Keywords: mozzarella stuffed chicken breast, how to make mozzarella stuffed chicken breast, gluten free mozzarella stuffed chicken breast
This mozzarella stuffed chicken recipe may contain some links that are affiliate links, though products are ones I use personally and recommend. When you purchase anything using my links, it costs you absolutely nothing extra, but it does give healthyheartyrecipes.com a little financial support which helps to keep this blog running. Thank you for your continued support, both with your dollars and your interest.
Reader Reviews & Comments
Oooooooh this was so good. Very easy to make but totally feels fancy!
These were so good and so easy! We used a bit of pepper Jack and red pepper flakes. Huge hit