This breakfast burrito skillet is a healthy, gluten-free option for a healthy breakfast that’s made in only one pan. It’s made from only a few easy, real food ingredients, and can be made dairy-free. The ground breakfast sausage cooks with the onions and potatoes, and salsa, black beans and eggs are added to create a filling, flavorful breakfast meal that everyone will enjoy.
No worries! Save to Pinterest and read later.Save to Pinterest
Breakfast Burrito Skillet Ingredients
The ingredients needed for this breakfast skillet are incredibly simple and affordable, and it’s a short list! You’ll need a pound of ground breakfast sausage, and here you can use mild or spicy, depending on your preference. You’ll also need diced gold potatoes, salsa, black beans, diced onions, shredded cheese and a few eggs.
If you’re looking to keep this recipe sugar-free, you’ll want to grab a package of sausage that doesn’t contain sugar. You can check this resource for a list of sugar free sausage options. You can also make this recipe dairy-free really easily by simply omitting the cheese.
How to Cook Your Breakfast Burrito Skillet
There are only a few easy steps you’ll need to follow to cook this one pan breakfast. The first of those is to add your ground breakfast sausage to a large cast iron or oven safe skillet over medium high heat. You’re going to brown the sausage until it’s no longer pink, and then transfer it to a plate, leaving the oil from the sausage in the pan.
Then you’ll add in the diced potatoes and diced onions to your skillet to cook in the fat from the sausage. Season your potatoes with the garlic powder, salt and pepper and cook them for about 10 minutes, covered and stirring occasionally, until the potatoes are fork tender. At this point most of the work cooking the breakfast skillet is done!
Your next step will be to add the sausage crumbles back into the skillet, along with the beans, salsa and shredded cheese. If you’re using the optional 4 ounce can of diced green chiles, those will be added at this step as well. Stir the ingredients in the skillet to combine them together.
Once the ingredients are combined, create 4 wells or divots in the skillet with the back of a spoon. Make them evenly spaced apart, and then gently crack an egg into each one, keeping the yolks whole. Once all four divots have an egg in them, place the skillet into the oven.
Now you will bake the breakfast skillet until the egg whites have set and the egg yolks are to your liking. This will be about 14 minutes for still runny, and a few more minutes for more well done. Once done, remove the skillet from the oven and serve as a skillet, or in breakfast tacos or wrapped in a burrito.
Best Cast Iron & Oven-Safe Skillets
- 12-Inch Lodge Cast Iron
- Home Collection Porcelain Enamel Skillet
- Le Creuset Signature Enameled Skillet
Serving & Storing Instructions
This breakfast skillet is great served as it’s own meal, topped with avocado or guacamole, salsa, cilantro, black olives, or your favorite toppings. It’s also great served in tortillas and enjoyed as taco filling, or wrapped up in a tortilla as a burrito.
You can also use this breakfast recipe for meal prep for quick breakfasts throughout the week or even lunches. It lasts in the fridge, stored in air-tight containers, for up to 4 days. If you’re planning on using it for meal prep, you may want to slightly undercook the eggs by removing the skillet from the oven about 2 minutes prior to when the yolks are at how you prefer them cooked. Reheating in the microwave will cook your eggs further, so you want to account for that when you bake the skillet the first time.
Other Easy, Healthy Breakfast Ideas:Print
PS. If you’ve made this recipe, don’t forget to rate this recipe and let me know in the comments how you liked it!
- 1–pound breakfast sausage (spicy or mild)
- 1–pound gold potatoes, peeled and diced into .5-1-inch pieces
- 1/2 cup yellow onion, diced
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup salsa
- 1 cup Mexican blend shredded cheese, plus more for topping
- 4 eggs
- Optional: add in 8oz can of diced green chiles while adding in the beans and salsa
- Serve with more salsa, black olives, cilantro or green onion, sliced avocado, tortillas
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a large cast iron skillet (or oven-safe skillet) cook the sausage over medium high heat, crumbling and browning it until no longer pink, about 8-10 minutes
- Transfer the sausage to a plate or bowl, leaving the grease in the pan. Add in the diced potatoes, diced onion, garlic powder, salt and pepper
- Cover and cook the potatoes and onions for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until potatoes are fork tender
- Add the sausage back into the skillet with the potatoes and onions, and then stir in the beans, salsa and cheese. Bring to a light simmer and then top with a light layer of cheese
- Create 4 wells in the skillet, equally spaced apart, with the back of a spoon. Crack an egg into each and then place the skillet into the oven
- Bake until the whites have set, and the yolks are to your liking (about 14 minutes for still runny)
- Remove the burrito skillet from the oven and top with green onion or cilantro, avocado, black olives, or serve in tortillas
- You can use shredded pepper jack or shredded sharp cheddar in place of Mexican blend
Keywords: one pan, breakfast, pork, sausage, breakfast recipe, gluten free, beans, potatoes
This gluten free breakfast burrito skillet post may contain some links that are affiliate links, though products are ones I use personally and recommend. When you purchase anything using my links, it costs you absolutely nothing extra, but it does give healthyheartyrecipes.com a little financial support which helps to keep this blog running. Thank you for your continued support, both with your dollars and your interest.