With a cook time of just 20 minutes, this instant pot white chicken chili uses minimal ingredients, minimal prep, but delivers maximum flavor. It’s a hearty yet gluten-free chili that is perfect for a quick weeknight dinner that’s family-friendly, or a meal prep recipe for lunch that you’ll look forward to all week.
No worries! Save to Pinterest and read later.Save to Pinterest
Instant Pot White Chicken Chili Ingredients
This instant pot chicken chili recipe requires only very simple ingredients. The fresh ingredients you’ll need include boneless, skinless chicken breasts, a diced yellow onion, and cream cheese. You’ll also need your common chili seasonings which include chili powder, minced garlic, cumin, parsley, salt and pepper.
The remaining ingredients are the pantry type ingredients which include broth, canned northern beans, canned green chiles, canned corn, and canned cream style corn. In addition, you’ll need whatever toppings you like best for your chili, such as cilantro, limes, avocado, cheese or jalapeños.
Step by Step Instant Pot Cooking Instructions
The first step in the cooking process for the white chicken chili is to layer your canned beans on the bottom of the instant pot, and then pour the cans of corn over top. Next you will add the onion, garlic and spices into the instant pot, without stirring.
On top of the spices, add in your chicken breasts, cream cheese chunks and then pour in the broth. Again, do not stir. Place the lid on your instant pot and set the valve to “sealing”. The instant pot will need to be set to manual high pressure for a cook time of 10 minutes.
Once the time is up, allow for a natural release (about 10 minutes), and then transfer your chicken breasts to a cutting board. Use two forks to shred the chicken and then add it back into your instant pot chili. Stir everything together to make sure all of the cream cheese has melted and been incorporated into the chili, or stir for a minute or two until it does. If you’d like your chili to be a bit thinner, add an additional cup of broth and stir it into the chili.
How to Make This Chili in the Slow Cooker
This recipe is very easy to covert to your slow cooker if you’d rather prep it in the morning and enjoy later. Start by adding all of the ingredients except for the cream cheese into your slow cooker, plus an additional 1 cup of broth. Give it a few big stirs to combine everything, and then place the lid on.
Cook your white chicken chili for 3-4 hours on high, or 6-8 hours on low. 30 minutes prior to serving, remove the chicken and shred it. Place it back in, with cubed cream cheese, and allow the cream cheese to get soft. Right before serving, stir the chili well until the cream cheese incorporates into the chili completely.
Serving and Storing Your White Chicken Chili
This recipe stores in the refrigerator and reheats really well. It’s great for workweek lunches that can be microwaved in a few minutes. To store, first let your chili cool completely. Then place in either a large storage container or individual portion containers that have an air-tight lid. This recipe keeps in the fridge for 4-5 days.
Other Chili Recipes You’ll Love:Print
PS. If you’ve made this recipe, don’t forget to rate this recipe and let me know in the comments how you liked it!
- 2 (15 ounce) cans northern beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (15 ounce) can white corn, drained
- 1 (15 ounce) sweet corn cream style
- 1 (4 ounce) can green chiles
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1/2 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1–pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 4 ounces cream cheese, cut into chunks
- 1.5 cups chicken broth
- Optional: For extra creaminess, add 1/2 cup heavy creamy
- For serving: limes, cilantro, avocado, jalapeno
- Add the beans to the bottom of the instant pot, and then layer the two cans of corn on top. Then add in the onion, garlic, chiles and all spices. Place the chicken on top, and the cream cheese chunks on top of the chicken
- Pour the chicken broth over top. Do not stir
- Place the lid on the instant pot, set the valve to “sealing” and pressure cook on manual high pressure for 10 minutes. Once done, allow for a natural release before opening the lid (about 10 minutes)
- Transfer the chicken to a cutting board and use two forks to shred. Stir the instant pot to ensure the cream cheese has melted, or stir until it does and incorporates into the soup
- Add the heavy cream here if desired, and add any additional salt and pepper you may want
- Add the shredded chicken back into the instant pot, stir into the soup and serve with optional toppings
- For a thinner soup, add an additional cup of broth
Keywords: instant pot soup, instant pot chili, white chicken chili, gluten free chili, gluten free chicken recipes
This instant pot white chicken chili post may contain some links that are affiliate links, though products are ones I use personally and recommend. When you purchase anything using my links, it costs you absolutely nothing extra, but it does give healthyheartyrecipes.com a little financial support which helps to keep this blog running. Thank you for your continued support, both with your dollars and your interest.