This shrimp rasta pasta recipe is made with peeled shrimp, jerk seasoning, and fresh veggies. It’s super easy to make gluten free, dairy free, or completely vegan. It’s ready in under 30 minutes and is incredibly versatile. Quickly made in a skillet, go ahead and add extra veggies to make it your style!
No worries! Save to Pinterest and read later.Save to Pinterest
Shrimp Rasta Pasta Ingredients
For this shrimp pasta you start with 2 cups of penne pasta, olive oil, and a pound of peeled and deveined jumbo shrimp. You’ll also need jerk seasoning, 3 bell peppers (one green, one red, and one yellow), 3 chopped green onions, and a diced yellow onion.
The spices you’ll need to gather are paprika, allspice, salt to taste, and pepper to taste. Minced garlic, a third cup of chicken broth, and a cup of heavy cream are also needed. Lastly you’ll need a third cup of shredded mozzarella and a third cup of shredded parmesan for cheeses.
Making Shrimp Rasta Pasta
To start the recipe you start by seasoning the shrimp in a bowl with half of the jerk seasoning. Coat it well and let it marinate for about 15 minutes. While the shrimp is marinating cook your pasta according to instructions. Before draining the pasta, keep a cup of the water and set it aside.
Next, in a large skillet, add the shrimp over medium high heat and cook for about 2 minutes on each side. We’re just searing them so don’t overcook since they’ll finish cooking in the pasta later on. Once they’re seared transfer them to a plate for later.
Now add the bell peppers and onions to the skillet and sauté them for about 2 minutes. Just until the onions are translucent and the peppers are still a little bit crisp or fork tender.
Sprinkle the last half of the jerk seasoning onto the vegetable along with the garlic, paprika, allspice, salt, and pepper. Stir and get them evenly coated and continue sautéing for about another minute.
Pour in the chicken stock and deglaze the skillet by scraping up any of the brown bits on the bottom and immediately reduce the heat to medium and add the heavy cream.
Stir it together and then add in the shredded parmesan and mozzarella cheeses and continue stirring until everything is combined and the cheese is melted in.
Now we add in the cooked pasta and stir it into the sauce. Slowly add the pasta water little bits at a time while stirring until the sauce is at your preferred consistency.
Add the shrimp back into the pan and stir it together. Cook for 1-2 minutes until the shrimp is heated through.
Making Vegan and/or Vegetarian Shrimp Rasta Pasta
Making this recipe vegetarian is super easy! Start by omitting the shrimp. From there add different vegetable of your choosing. Try some of my favorites such as sliced mushrooms, zucchini, and eggplant but use your imagination and use your favorites.
To make this rasta pasta completely vegan, swap out the heavy cream for coconut milk or coconut cream along with skipping the shrimp. You can omit the cheese or swap for a diary free variety you like.
If you’re using a dairy free cheese, add it in at the end instead of mixing it into the sauce in the earlier step. Add veggies to your liking just like the vegetarian steps and you’re good to go!
Serving and Storing Instructions
Serve this shrimp rasta pasta all on it’s own, or with a fresh salad or a side of you’re favorite roasted veggies. Another option is to serve with biscuits or even mashed potatoes/cauliflower mash. The sauce works as a “gravy” for the potatoes or cauliflower mash.
To store this recipe let it cool to room temperature and add it to an airtight container and refrigerate. I prefer to use the individual meal prep containers for this since it’s a great quick lunch and reheats really well. Either way it will keep in the refrigerator for about 5 days.
Other Pasta Recipes You’ll Love!
- Caprese Pasta Salad
- Slow Cooker Sausage Pasta Stew
- Instant Pot Hamburger Helper
- Southwest Ground Beef Casserole
PS. If you’ve made this recipe, don’t forget to rate this recipe and let me know in the comments how you liked it!
- 2 cups penne pasta
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1–pound jumbo shrimp (peeled and deveined)
- 2 tablespoons mild jerk seasoning, divided
- 3 bell peppers, one each green, red and yellow, seeds removed and thinly sliced
- 3 green onions, diced
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper, or to taste
- 1/3 cup chicken broth
- 1 cup heavy cream (or coconut milk/coconut cream for dairy free/vegan)
- 1/3 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/3 cup shredded parmesan
1. Season the shrimp with 1/2 of the jerk seasoning and let marinate for about 15 minutes
2. While the shrimp is marinating, cook the penne pasta according to the instructions. Reserve 1 cup of pasta water before draining
3. Heat the olive oil in a large skillet on medium-high heat. Add the shrimp to the skillet and cook for 2 minutes on each side. Do not overcook, just sear them being they will be added back into the pasta later and will finish cooking. Transfer the shrimp to a bowl or plate and set aside
4. Add the bell peppers and onions into the skillet and sauté for 2 minutes, until onions are translucent, and the peppers are still a bit crisp/fork tender
5. Sprinkle the remaining 1/2 of the jerk seasoning over the vegetables, as well as the garlic, paprika, allspice, salt and pepper. Stir into the vegetables to evenly coat while sautéing for another minute
6. Add the chicken stock to the skillet and deglaze by scraping up any brown bits on the bottom. Immediately after, reduce the heat to medium and pour in the heavy cream
7. Stir to combine the heavy cream into the vegetables and spices and then stir in the shredded mozzarella and shredded parmesan cheese. Stir it until it’s melted and combined
8. Add in the cooked pasta and stir it into the sauce. Slowly stir in pasta water a bit at a time until the sauce is the consistency you prefer
9. Return the shrimp into the pan, stir to combine into the sauce and pasta, and let cook about 1 to 2 minutes, or until the shrimp is heated through
- How to make this recipe vegetarian or vegan, simply substitute the heavy cream for coconut milk or coconut cream and omit the cheese or swap it for a diary free variety. Instead of chicken, fish or shrimp, opt for vegetables like mushrooms, zucchini, egg plants or any other veg of choice.
Keywords: jerk shrimp, rasta pasta with shrimp, rasta pasta, shrimp rasta pasta, shrimp pasta, jerk pasta, vegetarian rasta pasta, vegan rasta pasta, gluten free shrimp rasta pasta
This shrimp rasta pasta post may contain some links that are affiliate links, though products are ones I use personally and recommend. When you purchase anything using my links, it costs you absolutely nothing extra, but it does give healthyheartyrecipes.com a little financial support which helps to keep this blog running. Thank you for your continued support, both with your dollars and your interest.