Slow cooker chicken Alfredo pasta is a satisfying meal any day of the week. Made even better with an easy homemade Alfredo sauce! It’s easy to make gluten free or vegetarian, and made with only a few simple ingredients you likely have at home already. Let your crock pot do the work and add this chicken Alfredo pasta to your weeknight meal rotation!
No worries! Save to Pinterest and read later.Save to Pinterest
Slow Cooker Chicken Alfredo Pasta Ingredients
Making this slow cooker chicken Alfredo pasta with homemade Alfredo sauce requires only a few basic ingredients. You will need 1 1/2 pounds of boneless, skinless chicken breasts, 3 cups of heavy cream, 3 cups of chicken broth, 4oz cream cheese, and 4 tablespoons of butter.
Additionally you’ll need minced garlic, onion powder, Italian seasoning, salt and pepper, 16oz of penne or ziti pasta, a half cup of shredded Parmesan cheese, chopped parsley, and water. Not too much for a delicious homemade Alfredo sauce and an easy slow cooker pasta dinner, right?
Other Alfredo Recipes to Try:
- Homemade Dairy Free Alfredo Sauce
- Chicken Bacon Alfredo Casserole
- Chicken Alfredo Spaghetti Squash Casserole
Making Slow Cooker Chicken Alfredo Pasta
Start off the slow cooker chicken Alfredo pasta by adding the chicken breasts, broth, cream cheese, butter, onion powder, and Italian seasoning to the slow cooker. Add a pinch of salt and pepper and stir it together. Turn the slow cooker on low for 4-5 hours or on high for 2-3 hours with the cover on.
Transfer the chicken to a plate or cutting board or plate. Give your homemade Alfredo sauce a stir for a few minutes so the cream cheese smooths out and incorporates. It is normal for there to be some clumps until you stir it in well.
Next, add in the uncooked pasta and the half cup of water and stir it in. Place the cover back onto the slow cooker and cook on high for 20-30 minutes or until the pasta is tender. Don’t forget to switch the slow cooker to high if you did the previous step on low!
Now that the pasta is cooking it’s time to shred the chicken. Add the shredded chicken and the shredded parmesan about 5 minutes before the cook time is over. Mix it in and let it cook for the remaining time.
Making Vegetarian Slow Cooker Alfredo Pasta
Doing this recipe as a meatless slow cooker Alfredo pasta begins with omitting the chicken. If you’re going fully vegetarian you would also swap out the chicken broth for vegetable broth.
When making the slow cooker Alfredo pasta meatless I like to add in a few veggies in place of the chicken. Try a half a chopped white onion and/or a cup of sliced mushrooms. Add those in at the beginning or the recipe with the Alfredo ingredients.
You can also add a cup or two of broccoli florets, a half cup of halved cherry tomatoes, and some chopped spinach. These you would add at the same time as you add the pasta.
Making Gluten Free Chicken Alfredo Pasta In the Slow Cooker
Making this recipe as a gluten free slow cooker chicken Alfredo pasta is a very simple swap. Just switch out the 16oz of pasta for your favorite gluten free variety. I don’t recommend using a chickpea gluten free pasta since the cooking is different and it doesn’t cook well in a slow cooker.
My Favorite Gluten Free Pastas to Use in this Recipe:
Serving and Storing Instructions
To serve this slow cooker chicken pasta, garnish with chopped parsley, more shredded parmesan cheese, and cracked pepper. Red pepper flakes and bread crumbs also work well with this recipe. Serve with a side of roasted broccoli and you’re all set.
Store your leftovers by, first, letting the pasta cool to room temperature. Then, portion into individual meal prep containers or into one larger air tight container. Place in the refrigerator and your homemade Alfredo sauce chicken pasta will keep for about 5 days.
Other Pasta Recipes You’ll Love!
- Instant Pot Hamburger Helper
- Slow Cooker Creamy Sausage Gnocchi Soup
- Caprese Pasta Salad
- Instant Pot Chicken Fajita Pasta
PS. If you’ve made this recipe, don’t forget to rate this recipe and let me know in the comments how you liked it!
- 1.5 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 3 cups heavy cream
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 4 ounces cream cheese
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1/2 cup water
- 16 ounces uncooked penne or ziti pasta
- 1/2 cup shredded parmesan cheese
- Chopped parsley
- Add chicken breasts, heavy cream, chicken broth, cream cheese, butter, garlic, onion powder and Italian seasoning into your slow cooker. Add a pinch of salt and pepper. Stir to combine and cover
- Cook on low for 4-5 hours, or on high for 2-3 hours
- Transfer the chicken to a cutting board or plate. Stir the alfredo sauce in the slow cooker for a few minutes so the cream cheese incorporates more until smooth. It’s normal for it to be clumpy until stirred in well
- Then add the water and uncooked pasta and stir. Place the cover back onto the slow cooker and switch the knob to high if it isn’t already. Cook for 20-30 minutes, until pasta is tender
- While the pasta is cooking, shred the chicken. 5 minutes before the cook time is up, mix in the shredded chicken and parmesan
- Serve garnished with fresh cracked black pepper, chopped parsley and more shredded parmesan
For Vegetarian Alfredo Pasta:
- Omit chicken
- Substitute chicken broth for vegetable broth
- Add veggies as desired
For Gluten Free Slow Cooker Chicken Alfredo Pasta:
- Substitute pasta for gluten free pasta with the exception of chickpea pasta.
This slow cooker Alfredo pasta post may contain some links that are affiliate links, though products are ones I use personally and recommend. When you purchase anything using my links, it costs you absolutely nothing extra, but it does give healthyheartyrecipes.com a little financial support which helps to keep this blog running. Thank you for your continued support, both with your dollars and your interest.