This slow cooker hamburger and vegetable noodle soup is hearty, full of vegetables like carrots, potatoes, celery, peas and onions, and is perfect for a weeknight meal or meal prep lunches you can prepare ahead of time. It’s easily made gluten-free with your choice of gluten-free noodles. Your crock pot will do all of the work for you after a few quick minutes of prep, so dinner is ready when you are! This ground beef recipe is budget friendly and only uses simple ingredients, so it’s both an affordable and easy family-friendly meal idea!
Slow Cooker Hamburger & Vegetable Noodle Soup Ingredients
There’s two categories of ingredients needed for this slow cooker ground beef recipe. The first are the fresh ingredients you’ll need. Those include diced potatoes, diced carrots, diced celery and diced onions. You’ll also need one pound of ground beef, which you will brown prior to adding it to your crock pot.
The other type of ingredients you’ll need fall into the pantry staples category. Those include the spices, broth, noodles, frozen peas and canned items. The canned items this soup needs are tomato sauce, diced tomatoes, and a can of corn.
Preparing Your Soup
The first step in making this soup is to brown your ground beef with the minced garlic and diced onion. Your ground beef doesn’t need to be completely browned, some pink is fine, it just needs to be mostly crumbled. The grease should also be drained, and then you’ll transfer it from the strainer into your crock pot.
While you’re browning the hamburger, you can also start dumping all of the remaining ingredients into the slow cooker, with the exception of the peas and noodles. All of the vegetables, spices and canned items will get stirred together into the broth and water.
Once everything except for the frozen peas and pasta noodles are in your slow cooker, place the lid on it. Now the crock pot will do the rest of the work! Set it on low for a cook time of 6 to 8 hours, or set it to high for a cook time of 3 to 4 hours.
30 minutes prior to serving, you’ll need to add in the frozen peas and pasta noodles and give it a good stir or two to incorporate them in with the soup. Place your lid back onto the slow cooker and if it’s not already, flip it onto high. The peas and noodles will cook in that last half hour. You can add an additional cup of liquid (broth or water) prior to serving if you’d like a thinner soup, as the pasta noodles can soak up some while they cook.
Making Your Slow Cooker Hamburger Soup Gluten-Free
There are many gluten-free noodle options you can use in place of typical pasta. Any type of gluten-free noodle brand you prefer can be used exactly as the instructions read. Just dump them in and let cook in the slow cooker. The exception to this is if you’re wanting to use chickpea noodles. Those tend to get really foamy and are best when boiled on their own. If you’d like to use chickpea noodles, simply follow the cooking instructions on the package and then add them into your soup once they’re already cooked.
Storing and Freezing Your Soup
This soup lasts in the fridge for up to 5 days, and reheats really well for leftovers or lunch meal prep. Before refrigerating you will want to let the soup cool completely and then portion it out into meal prep containers with lids. For freezing, you will follow those same steps, but leave an inch of head space from the lid to allow for expansion when the liquid freezes. This soup is good in the freezer for up to 3 months.
Other Slow Cooker Recipes You’ll Love:Print
PS. If you’ve made this recipe, don’t forget to rate this recipe and let me know in the comments how you liked it!
- 1–pound lean ground beef
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 2 medium gold potatoes, peeled and cubed (about 2 cups)
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and diced
- 2 ribs celery, diced
- 1 (15 oz) can corn, drained
- 1 (15 oz) can tomato sauce
- 1 (15 oz) can diced tomatoes, with liquid
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon ground oregano
- 4 cups beef broth
- 3 cups water
- 2 cups elbow or shell (Conchiglie) pasta noodles
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- In a skillet over medium-high heat, add the ground beef, garlic and diced onion. Saute for 5-6 minutes, until beef is mostly browned and broken up. It does not need to be totally browned, just mostly crumbled. Drain the grease and add to a large slow cooker
- Add all of the ingredients to the instant pot, except for the pasta and frozen peas and stir well. Place the lid on, and cook on low for 6-8 hours, or high for 3-4 hours.
- 30 minutes prior to serving, stir in the pasta and frozen peas and turn to high if not already, and cook for the last 30 minutes
- Serve once pasta is tender
- If needed, you can add an additional cup of broth or water for a thinner soup or if more liquid is needed for the pasta (depending on the type of pasta used, it can suck up a lot of liquid when cooking)
- Gluten-free noodles can be used in this recipe, with the exception of chickpea noodles
Keywords: slow cooker soup, ground beef recipes, hamburger, crock pot, gluten free soup, gluten free
This slow cooker hamburger and vegetable noodle soup recipe post may contain some links that are affiliate links, though products are ones I use personally and recommend. When you purchase anything using my links, it costs you absolutely nothing extra, but it does give healthyheartyrecipes.com a little financial support which helps to keep this blog running. Thank you for your continued support, both with your dollars and your interest.